Monday, September 17, 2012

Kristen's Story of Growth


Hello Kindred Spirits,

I’m so excited to have the opportunity to introduce myself to all of you! I was an intern at The Farm at Kindred Ground last spring semester and a volunteer this semester. I haven't been able to meet many of you, but I think community is the most important part of the CSA model, so even if we don’t get to meet face to face, here is a little bit more about me:

I grew up in Queensbury, NY near Lake George at the base of the Adirondack Mountains. My mom always took my brother and me to the Farmer’s Market after school when we were younger and I loved soaking in the colors and flavors. When I was a freshman in high school one of the vendors offered me a job as an assistant seller, so every week I helped unload the van of veggies and sell at the market. I loved meeting all different kinds of people and selling them healthy, local produce.

Last year an opportunity came up through the Sociology Department for me to intern at The Farm at Kindred Ground and it seemed like the perfect fit. It was great to break away from school on Fridays to enjoy a day of work in the field. I learned so much from Tammy and worked to order the seeds that have grown into your bountiful shares, prep beds for planting and spread the word about the CSA. When I found out how much Tammy loved growing herbs, I proposed that we create an herb spiral (a concept that I learned while I was studying Permaculture in Brazil a few years ago). It was fun to see my creativity come to life on the farm. 

I was sad to leave in May, but another adventure awaited me in Vermont. I worked at Foggy Meadow Farm in Benson, Vermont from May to August. This four acre organic vegetable farm grows food for four Farmer’s Markets, three CoOps and  two restaurants. I worked with three other young, enthusiastic interns from New England. It was interesting learning how to grow on such a large scale. I helped build a greenhouse, seed lettuce, transplant cabbage, harvest beets and sell at market (to name a few tasks!). I had a great experience (and learned to cook pretty well!).

Now I’m a Junior Geography major and Environmental Studies minor at SUNY Geneseo. I’m interested in creating sustainable food systems that are good for the environment and provide healthy and nutritious food to all people. I’m hoping to work for a non-profit that organizes community gardening projects in urban areas. I think the CSA model is so powerful because you forge a relationship with the farmer, with each other and with the land on which your food is grown. Thanks for choosing local and supporting the dream of Kindred Ground! I hope to be able to meet some of you soon.

In community,
Kristen Balschunat

1 comment:

Cody Lee said...

Thanks for the post! I've just found the farm and was curious how I could find out all the information I can about the farm. Is there a particular webpage I can go to, or phone number to call? thanks so much : )